Two goals from Corbin Beauchemin would propel the UBC Okanagan Heat to a 3-2 victory on Saturday against the Victoria Vikes men’s soccer team.

Both teams scored once in the first half, with Beauchemin nabbing his first of the match to draw the teams even at (1-1).

After 15 minutes of second-half play tied at one, on the Nonis Field in Kelowna, the action would suddenly intensify. A flurry of blows saw three goals scored in a five-minute span that ended up deciding the match.

The Heat jabbed first with Beachemin’s second of the match. No chance for a breath, the retaliation from the Vikes was almost immediate. Just seconds following the Heat goal, Isaac Koch re-tied the match at (2-2). The Vikes star was playing in front of some hometown fans, he was a West Kelowna product and a one-time Mount Boucherie grad.

The knockout blow for UBCO was delivered not long after Koch’s goal by fifth-year midfielder Jeevin Kang. The game-winner was scored at the 65th minute and put the Heat up (3-2) for good.

The Heat held on and for the victory, their record improves to (2-1-0) on the young season. While the Vikes drop points for the first time and sit also at (2-1-0).

In the first half, the Vikes opened the scoring with a goal off the foot of Matt Hobson. Isaac Koch led an individual rush and rang a shot of the iron, he regained possession and had another glorious chance but goaltender Nicholas Reitsma’s dove right to make the save. The ball fell to the feet of Hobson who made no mistake to open the scoring.

Just before the end of the first half striker, Corbin Beauchemin tied the game for the Heat off a corner from Spencer Young.  The Heat crowded the 6-yard box as Young whipped the ball into the area. It travelled through the cluster and Beauchemin found the ball and then the twine.

For Beauchemin’s second of the game, he worked a give-and-go with Pierson Stanley. The fourth-year forward burst up the right side and buried a shot into the high short-side corner.

Koch continued his strong game scoring his second goal of the year and his sixth point of the young season to even the game at two.

Kang’s goal to give UBCO the final lead was off another corner from Young, the third in his career goal,m and extra satisfying after an injury-plagued fourth year last fall.

The final gasp for the Vikes came late, but it was Reitsma who came up large, stuffing the very dangerous Koch in the 83rd minute from close range.