Friday night at the Langley Events Centre in front of over 3800 strong the Vancouver Giants (10-8-1-0) secured a 3-1 victory over the Portland Winterhawks (10-5-0-1). Lukas Svejkovsky, Tanner Brown and Evan Patrician scored first period markers for the G-Men who also got 26 saves from Trent Miner. Reece Newkirk had Portland’s lone goal in response while Joel Hofer made 35 saves.
GIANTS EARN THEIR THIRD STRAIGHT WIN WITH A 3-1 TRIUMPH OVER PORTLAND
VAN – Lukas Svejkovsky increased his goal-scoring streak to three straight games when he buried his fifth at 2:19. Jackson Shepard and Seth Bafaro helped set it up.
VAN – Tanner Brown doubled the Giants lead at 7:25. He raced down the left-wing, took a feed from Tristen Nielsen and wired his first career WHL goal past the glove of Joel Hofer. Alex Kannok Leipert had the second assist.
VAN – Evan Patrician extended his point-streak to four straight games when he converted from the slot. Lukas Svejkovsky and Jackson Shepard assisted on his second goal of the season. The time of the goal was 15:02.
Shots: 21-9 Vancouver
Shots 11-7 Portland
POR – The lone Winterhawks goal of the game came at 14:42 from Reece Newkirk. The New York Islanders prospect took a pass from the high slot, spun around and snuck a low shot past Trent Miner’s stick. Seth Jarvis and Jaydon Dureau had the helpers.
Shots: 10-7 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 3 – Portland 1
Final Shots: 38 – 27 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 26/27 saves for Vancouver (5-4-1-0)
Joel Hofer: 35/38 saves for Portland (10-3-0-1)
Vancouver: 0/4 on the Power Play
Portland: 0/4 on the Power Play
- Trent Miner (VAN – 26 Saves)
- Lukas Svejkovsky (VAN – 1G, 1A)
- Evan Patrician (VAN – 1G, +2)
Next Game: Tomorrow night at 6:00 PM against the Portland Winterhawks in the back-half of the home-and-home set.
- Friday’s victory for the Giants snapped a five-game winless skid against Portland.
- Lukas Svejkovsky has now scored a goal in three straight games for the Giants.
- Trent Miner is now 3-0 in his past three appearances.
- Over his past four games, Evan Patrician has registered one goal and four assists for five points.
- The Giants scored three goals in the first period for the first time since September 21st in Prince George.
- Jackson Shepard suited up in his 200th career WHL game on Friday night against Portland.