#8 Andrew Viggars took a puck to the face which would end up being the overtime winner Tuesday nightPhoto Credit: Tami Quan Photography

The West Kelowna Warriors snap their six game losing streak with a thrilling 4-3 overtime victory over the Chilliwack Chiefs Tuesday.

Lots of scoring in the first period. It didn’t start well for the Warriors with the Chiefs getting on the board with a pair in the first ten minutes of the period. First goal was scored by veteran Brett Willits off a pass from former Warriors forward Trevor Adams. The Chilliwack Chiefs would add another goal only two minutes later with Adams scoring against his former team to make it 2-0. The Warriors would cut the lead on the powerplay when Wyatt Head found Tyler Cristall with a slap pass towards the net to make it 2-1. Only 47 seconds later the Chiefs would restore the two goal lead with a wrap around goal from Tommy Lyons. The offense didn’t stop there with the Warriors adding one late from Max Bulawka scoring his team leading 11th of the season to once again cut the lead and make it 3-2.

Both clubs traded scoring chances in the second period but it remained 3-2 Chiefs. Best chance for the Warriors was a beautiful drop pass from behind the Chiefs net to Deegan Mofford who hit the crossbar.

Both teams went head to head in the first half of the third period trading a couple scoring chances, but then came the final ten minutes of the hockey game which would end up being the turning point. Chiefs forward Davis Murray and Warriors defender Spencer Hora collided in the corner and both appeared like they were going to drop the gloves, but when Hora elected not to drop the gloves, Davis was penalized a 5 minute major plus a 2 minute minor putting the Warriors on a 7 minute power play. During that span the Chiefs took two more penalties putting the Warriors on two 5 on 3 advantages. During the first advantage, the Warriors Max Bulawka was able to tie the game at three. Then during the second tn advantage the Warriors came so close to getting the go ahead goal but Caron was able to keep it tied heading into overtime.

During the extra frame the Warriors would start overtime on another power play but once teams went to full strength 4 on 4 resumed. That allowed the Warriors to cycle in the offensive zone with Wyatt Head dropping the puck down low to Brendan Pigeon where he threw the puck towards the net and coming in hot was Andrew Viggars who didn’t get his stick on it, but his face. The puck would go off the nose of Andrew Viggars and in to win it for the Warriors in overtime. The win would be the Warriors first victory in extra time this season.

Final shots on goal: 29-29.

Three Stars:

  1. WKW     F Max Bulawka       (2G)
  2. WKW     D Wyatt Head        (3A)
  3. CWK      F Trevor Adams      (1G-1A)