The BCHL has announced the participants for the outdoor Alumni & Friends Game, presented by Johnston Meier Insurance, as part of the 60th Anniversary All-Star Weekend in Penticton. The game takes place at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 21 on the newly built outdoor rink.
The list of alumni and special guests is highlighted by Hall of Famers, Stanley Cup champions, longtime NHLers and players who made their mark in the BCHL.
Here is a full list of participants
- Scott Niedermayer: 17-year NHL career, Hockey Hall of Famer, four Stanley Cups, two Olympic gold medals, one World Cup, one World Championship, one World Junior gold medal, one Conn Smythe Trophy as the NHL playoff MVP and one Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenceman.
- Brendan Morrison – Penticton Panthers (1992-93): 15-year NHL career, including nine with the Vancouver Canucks as part of the West Coast Express line
- Kyle Turris – Burnaby Express (2005-2007): 14-year NHL career and the highest draft pick to come straight from the BCHL at 3rd overall in 2007
- Geoff Courtnall – Cowichan Valley Capitals (1980-81): 16-year NHL career, including being a key part of the Vancouver Canucks 1994 playoff run
- Garry Valk: 13-year NHL career split between Vancouver Canucks, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks
- Tyler Johnston: One of the stars of the TV show Letterkenny, acting professionally for nearly 20 years, born and raised in Coquitlam, B.C.
- Pat Hodgins – BCHL Alumnus (1986-1991): Fourth all-time in the BCHL with 215 career assists and ninth all-time with 151 career goals, played for the Nanaimo Clippers, Cowichan Valley Capitals and Victoria Warriors
- Mike Di Stefano – BCHL Alumnus (2000-2005): The BCHL’s all-time leader in games played with 297, played for the Burnaby/Alberni Valley Bulldogs, Powell River Kings, Quesnel Millionaires and Chilliwack Chiefs
- Wade MacLeod – Merritt Centennials (2005-2007): Fourth in BCHL scoring during 2006-07 season (104 points), went on to play four years at Northeastern University and played professionally for eight seasons, including stops in the AHL and Europe
- Mark MacMillan – BCHL Alumnus (2009-2011): Played for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs and Penticton Vees, went on to play four years at the University of North Dakota and another four professionally, currently general manager and head coach of the Summerland Steam of the KIJHL
- Mitch MacMillan – BCHL Alumnus (2007-2010): 165 points in 172 BCHL games with the Powell River Kings, Cowichan Valley Capitals and Alberni Valley Bulldogs, went on to play four years of college hockey split between St. Cloud State University and the University of North Dakota
- Bruce Courtnall – Juan de Fuca Whalers (1986-87): One season in the BCHL with Juan de Fuca, 33 points in 21 games
The game will also feature two BCHL goalies between the pipes. Carter Richardson from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks and Justin Katz from the West Kelowna Warriors, who are both participating in the Top Prospects Game the night before, will play in net.
The game will also feature a handful of BCHL sponsors taking the ice with the Alumni & Friends.
HockeyTV will broadcast the game live and on demand.